Comfort, low stress and integrity are the hallmarks of James H. Eaker, DDS's office operations.
To ensure your convenience, below is the information you need about our hours, location, appointment scheduling, insurance acceptance and billing. We are aware our office hours just can’t work for everyone, but we try to find balance in our lives between work, family, faith and fun.
Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:30 PM
Tuesday: 08:30 AM - 03:30 PM
Wednesday: 08:30 AM - 03:30 PM
Thursday: 08:30 AM - 03:30 PM
We know you have many choices when choosing a Dentist in Durham, NC so just call us at our phone (919) 544-5620 to request an appointment. We try to be with patients that are in front of us, so will call you back if we miss your call. If, for any reason, you cannot keep a scheduled appointment, or will be delayed, please call us as soon as possible and with as much notice as possible. Please consider appointments like you would a hotel reservation.
Insurance and Billing
Payment for professional services is due at the time of treatment, but we offer payment options. If you have dental insurance, we will be happy to assist you in submitting the necessary forms so that you will be reimbursed as quickly as possible.
“Are you a provider in our plan?”
Most of our patients have some form of dental insurance. Please take a moment to be educated on dental insurance. Unlike health insurance that has catastrophic coverage, there is an annual maximum for dental coverage. Premium rates have increased since the 70s, but benefits have not increased much at all. Unless a company is helping underwrite cost, it is not always a good investment.
In order to save money but offer dental insurance, more and more companies/corporations are signing up for PPO plans. These have worked wonderfully in medicine, but not so great in dentistry. Dentists in PPO plans agree to cut their fees by a significant amount. Please use caution to be sure recommended treatment in a PPO office makes sense. Some patients end up doing more expensive treatment because there is an apparent cost savings when perhaps conservative treatment would be less expensive overall. Conservative treatment might mean less actual treatment, less overall cost and might be in your best interest. It amazes me that patients choose the apparent least expensive option for dentistry, when it may actually be more expensive than getting a thorough examination and following a perhaps more conservative plan.
We do not accept assignment of insurance benefits, but do offer help with filing. Tanya is very familiar with the insurance process and offers electronic filing whenever possible for your convenience.. Your contract is with the insurance company and we have them pay you directly and have you pay us either in payments or in full. We have several payment options and realize many patients cannot pay in full for treatment all at one time.
In summary, we prefer to offer honest, conservative treatment at a fair fee and help you get reimbursed by your provider. There are now some DMO plans that only work in specific offices. Otherwise, as far as we know, all plans will reimburse you at some level for treatment in our office, but at a lower rate than a PPO ‘provider dentist’. We don’t think dentistry is a place to shop for bargains, but it is a place for honest, conservative value and minimizing treatment when possible.
We accept checks, cash or credit cards. We also offer a flexible payment plan. Please see our Financial Coordinator for details. We are happy to file insurance for your reimbursement as long as you are free to choose your own dentist.
CareCredit is here to help you pay for treatments and procedures your insurance doesn’t cover. We offer No Interest* financing or low minimum monthly payment options so you can get what you want, when you want it. You can even use CareCredit for your family and favorite pet.
With three simple steps, including an instant approval process, it’s easy to apply for CareCredit. After you’re approved, you’re free to use CareCredit for the services you choose including LASIK, veterinary, dentistry, cosmetic, hearing aids and more.
CareCredit is endorsed by some of the most credible organizations specific to each healthcare profession we support. And CareCredit is a GE Money Company, so you know you can count on us. For over 20 years, we’ve been helping over five million cardholders get the healthcare treatments they want and need.
Now you don’t have to worry about saving up for the procedures you want and need. With CareCredit, the decision’s in your hands to get what you want, when you want it. For more information or to apply online, visit www.carecredit.com
Facilities and Equipment
Our office is equipped with high technology, such as the triangle’s first 3M digital impression 3-D scanner for precision-fit crowns, state-of-the-art sterilization equipment monitored by UNC Dental School Sterilization Monitoring service, technology for implant restorations, a Canon medical-grade digital camera, LED curing lights for tooth colored fillings, intraoral micro cameras in every room, multiple whitening systems including KOR whitening, nitrous oxide sedation, and the finest panoramic x-ray. In addition, every room has a temperpedic pad on the patient chair, an x-ray machine and a Apple iTouch players with Bose QC 15 or QC 25 noise cancelling headphones (choose your favorite music or podcast or whatever from infinite internet choices and control the volume yourself).
We are conservative about x-rays. If adequate films are available from another office, we would rather utilize those x-rays than take new ones. If copies are poor or the films are out of date, we’ll advise as to the necessary films required.
- Our sterilizers are the best made. The large ones, for our instrument cassettes, are steam sterilizers from medical equipment maker, Midmark. We actually have 2 of them. The other is the Statim, the fastest steam sterilizer on the market. We are committed to cleanliness and safety. We hand wrap each of our instrument cassettes before sterilization.
- We have the Photomed Canon EOS Rebel Digital camera for our clinical photography and have used it to communicate with labs, specialists and pathologists.
- Our GE Instrumentarium Digital Panoramic x-ray machine is the top rated machine in the world and is known for incredibly low radiation exposure. We are told it is 1/30,000th of a medical CT scan in radiation. We became fully digital in 2012 with XDR sensors and our digital panoramic machine and updated our panoramic again in 2018.
- Another high tech instrument is Easy-shade, from Vident. In this age of beautiful smiles, it helps us match colors for crowns and fillings accurately.
- We also utilize a Pentamixer, a machine that, when necessary, makes taking impressions for crowns more predictable with automatic mixing.
- The Isolite has become a patient and staff favorite. It replaces the rubber dam for most of our procedures and provides a place to rest while opening, but has a built-in vacuum and light as well.
- Tooth colored fillings generally rely on a blue light to cure them and make them hard. We utilize one of the most predictable curing lights on the market, with one of our newest technologies, the Ultradent Valo cordless LED curing lights, in all 3 of our doctor operatories. It provides a quick hardening of many materials, with predictability.
- In hygiene, we have both a prophy jet for using an mini air abraider to remove stains and a cavijet, a combination prophy jet and cavitron. This helps remove large deposits with less hand instrument scraping necessary. However, for when we do need to use hand instruments, we have upgraded those instruments for ease of use and comfort.
- We now have fiber optic Brasseler NSK electric handpieces (drills) which are the quietest type of drill available. We also have fiber optic Kavo high-speed handpieces, the industry standard. In addition, we utilize the Kavo Quattrocare, the automatic handpiece lubrication system, to improve efficiency and quality of the handpiece sterilization process.
We are located at 4208 South Alston Avenue, one mile north of Highway 54. (Click here for directions.) This is a dream fulfilled. After 18 years in a small office on Highway 54, we moved into our new space in 2005. Our new building is an exterior replica of a house on this site that dated back to the early 1800s, which was not in condition for restoration. It was taken down through a joint community project involving the Durham Jaycees, Duke Fire Safety, WTVD and Parkwood Fire Department. We were able to save the live Deodora cedar out front as well as many artifacts including Heartwood pine floors, a mantle, door toppers, pine wall boards, foundation stones and the front porch swing. There are also many artifacts displayed in the office. Our effort was to create an office that would be both relaxing and functional. We hope you will enjoy it as much as we have.